When Life Happened...

Today I celebrate my second anniversary in Thailand, and I'm not going to hesitate to give myself a huge pat on the back. When Lil Z and I boarded that flight to Bangkok, we were like clueless chickens with no game plan. We were just blindly following the leader, and today I can proudly say I'm glad we did.

Last month, I visited India for the Christmas holidays and my husband and I bumped into a very old friend. What he said stuck with me, and I began to view our time here in Thailand differently. Here's what he said. "You guys have a great life. Expat Life is good. I see your photos, they are lovely." The moment he left, I remember giving my husband's hand a little squeeze. It was my way of saying thank you for this wonderful opportunity and taking the risk. Sometimes we need others to tell us how great our life is...we tend to take normal and routine for granted.

Of course, it wasn't all easy, there were several challenges; I had to adjust to this new concept called the "stay-at-home-mom" and deal with the demon in my head who constantly asked What Next? Where is the "you" in all of this? Then came the loss of a sibling and the grief that followed. But through all of this, I actually experienced what I had only heard in Lennon's Beautiful Boy - Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

I'd like to share some very basic life lessons I've learned over these years. I haven't mastered some of the stuff I'm sharing, but who cares...maybe some of you who read this might do so. Here goes...


  1. If you are sailing on choppy waters...breathe...it will calm down and it will pass. It WILL get better.
  2. Be grateful for every experience (not necessarily at that very moment. It sure is hard.).
  3. Be patient (I struggle...but it's worth it).
  4. Forgive yourself for your mistakes.
  5. Pray (Try it if you haven't. Don't expect miracles on Day 1 itself).
  6. First impressions are overrated (Try me on days without coffee or after I've had three toddler meltdowns. I'm quite awesome otherwise.)  :):)
  7. You are important, but it doesn't mean everything has to be about you
  8. Take risks (If I hadn't done so, this blog wouldn't be here for people to read. Initially, I was nervous about feedback. Look at me now, I've grown a crocodile's skin or so I believe).
  9. Use the good stuff you've been stacking away. You don't know if you will get another chance at life to use it.
  10. Most important of all. If you have a great family hold on to that love because not everyone is fortunate to have one.



On that note, Khap Khun Kha Thailand. Life is good.

Comments

Popular Posts